"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Blinkered

I just, quite by mistake, read an absolutely amazing piece of tripe at Catholic Online (no, I'm not going to link) about what a disaster the repeal of DADT will be, graced by some of the most fundamentally brainless comments you've ever seen.

And once again I'm reminded of the amazing inability of Christian fanatics to even admit that there is a point of view besides theirs. The piece is full of references to the "homosexual agenda" and "social experiments" and the "liberal" attempt to take God out of everything.

The prize was the comment from someone that "homosexuality is defined by an act, but heterosexuality is defined by God." I have to admit, this was one of those situations when I almost spit all over my keyboard. Think about the mindset required to come up with something like that.

Y'know, I generally refrain from criticizing believers on the basis of their belief -- after all, I'm a believer myself, although of the sort that most Christians characterize as "godless" (which has always puzzled me -- I have more gods than I can keep track of, while they only admit to having one), but there are limits. What I can't forgive is the kind of smug ignorance displayed by this particular group, which in the case of the essayist, as well as many of the commenters, was couched in fairly inflammatory terms.

Believe whatever you want, but for the love of all the benevolent gods, use the brains you were given.

No comments: