"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, December 09, 2010

We Can't Get Married,

but we can get divorced. In Illinois, at least. Interesting article from Mike Miner at the Chicago Reader on some of the wrinkles in Illinois' new civil unions law.

I have a couple of quibbles (mostly to do with him quoting opponents of equal civil rights without rebuttal) which I may get into later. (Yes, I know the article is not the place to rehash all the arguments pro and con, but I hate it when people quote these arguments as though they hold up to scrutiny.)

But for now, read and ponder the concept of "unintended consequences."

No comments: