"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, April 02, 2011

The Conservative Vision of America

Is to be forced to listen to wingnuts at gunpoint. Mike Huckabee says so, so it must be true -- the money quote (which has been edited out of the "official" version) is within the first minute.



Here's the quote, via Box Turtle Bulletin:

“I just wish that every single young person in america would be able to be under his tutelage and understand something about who we are as a nation. I almost wish there would be like a simultaneous telecast, and all Americans would be forced — forced, at gunpoint no less — to listen to every David Barton message. And I think our country would be better for it.”

You have to wonder if these people are even thinking about what they're saying. As an American, that's the sort of sentiment that turns my stomach. (I realize there is a remote chance that Huckabee was "joking," as conservatives understand the concept. Considering that they seem to consider humor as being against God's will, somehow I doubt it.)

The remarks about being forced to listen to a screwball like David Barton are bad enough, but I found it very interesting later in the clip (if you can stand to watch that long), when Huckabee is praising the organizer of the event as being "a perfect servant." Right there, I think, is what bothers me most about Christianity (well, give or take the exclusion of the Goddess, and all the focus on breeding): the idea that we are all servants. There's something really wrong about that.

But back to Huckabee: that clip has gone viral. I think we have a good idea where the Christian right stands in regard to American values, in case we had any doubts.

1 comment:

Nigel said...

Effing loonies. 1984 here we come.