"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How Small Can You Get?

This proposal came from a Republican. Why am I not surprised?

Under a new budget proposal from State Sen. Bruce Casswell, children in the state’s foster care system would be allowed to purchase clothing only in used clothing stores. . . .

Under his plan, foster children would receive gift cards that could only be used at places like the Salvation Army, Goodwill and other second hand clothing stores.


This reaction comes close to the nub of the proposal:

“Honestly, I was flabbergasted,” Jacobs says. “I really couldn’t believe this. Because I think, gosh, is this where we’ve gone in this state? I think that there’s the whole issue of dignity. You’re saying to somebody, you don’t deserve to go in and buy a new pair of gym shoes. You know, for a lot of foster kids, they already have so much stacked against them.”


But you don't understand: the whole Republican philosophy is built on punishment, much like evangelical Christianity. (Funny, that similarity, isn't it?) If you're not rich and powerful, then you should be punished for it. And if you're a kid who doesn't even have parents or a home, then you should be punished even more.

Builds character.

Fortunately, humanity prevailed and the provision was pulled.

No comments: