"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Naval Weddings

The Navy has decided to allow same-sex weddings on bases in those states where same-sex marriages are recognized. Tony Perkins, head of the hate group Family Research Council, is shocked! shocked, I tell you. Why, it's nothing more than a task force of Navy SEALs denying his constitutional right to force his religion down everyone else's throats. His, imagery, though, is telling:

If the administration keeps pounding its agenda through the military, we'll need the Navy SEALs to rescue marriage.

He seems to like the idea of Navy SEALs pounding. Or maybe he wants to pound a couple of SEALs.

It is, of course, an "an assault on religious freedom." I don't understand quite how that works -- no one is forcing him to marry a SEAL -- or even a midshipman. No one's forcing him to perform such a marriage, assuming he's otherwise qualified. No one's saying he can't continue to lie about it every time he opens his mouth (although no one's promising not to criticize him for the lies, either).

So where's the assault?

I'd note that he's arguably the biggest liar on the Christianist right, but the field's so crowded at this point that it's hard to differentiate between the bald-faced liars and the seriously deluded. But I suppose he's right to be desperate -- after all, he's losing.

No comments: