"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, June 06, 2011

Good News

Catholic Charities in the dioceses of Rockford, Peoria, and Joliet are leaving the adoption business because of Illinois' new civil unions law. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win-win, for the state and for the children. There are other, nonsectarian organizations ready and willing to step in, and I for one don't relish the idea of my tax dollars going to support a homophobic religious organization.

I do, however, wonder "Why now?" The equal rights law was passed several years ago, forbidding discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodation. Being the cynic I am, I suspect that there's more to it than civil unions -- like reports that religiously affiliated adoption agencies were being audited by the state to insure compliance with non-discrimination laws. Heehee -- they wanted an exemption, and what they got was an investigation.

Maybe they'll think seriously about the First Amendment.

No comments: