"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Education and Corporations and Humanity

Very good and angry post at Shakesville on the "two views" of education that seem to be holding sway in this country -- and unfortunately, holding sway in the corridors of power.

I'm not going to try to excerpt it -- it's too much of a piece and you need to read the whole thing.

I will say, though, that my own idea of education is somewhat more than mere training so that you can get a job. I think a good, rounded, liberal education has a lot to do with making decent citizens.

Think of it this way: the teabaggers are the products of the corporate idea of "education."

No comments: