"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The End of Civilization

I like this post from Joe Jervis about the weddings in Central Park. This was especially nice:

As informal a day as this was, I was especially struck by how respectful passersby became once they grokked what was going down. Throngs of tourists lined the barricades at all times, quieting down when the chapels were active, then erupting in cheers when they could see that each ceremony was complete. It was a beautiful thing to witness.

OK, Maggie -- I think the people are voting.

(Joe has scads of pictures.)

2 comments:

NPT said...

The people have clearly already voted.

Hunter said...

I think it's particularly nice to note the contrast between the behavior of the passers by and the behavior of the so-called "Christians" demonstrating on the first day same-sex marriage was legal.

Sort of gives you an idea just who the real thugs are.