"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Libertarian Fantasyland

Via Joe.My.God., this quote from Ron Paul:

"Employee rights are said to be valid when employers pressure employees into sexual activity. Why don’t they quit once the so-called harassment starts? Obviously the morals of the harasser cannot be defended, but how can the harassee escape some responsibility for the problem? Seeking protection under civil rights legislation is hardly acceptable."

Oh, yeah, just quit your job -- and do what to put food on the table? (And do note that the "blame the victim" mantra is in full bore here. According to Paul, you bear the responsibility if someone else decides to do you dirt.)

Granted, this is from 1987, but does anyone think that Paul has really changed his attitudes?

This is why I think so-called libertarians are a joke. It all sounds very good, in a teenage superhero sort of way, but when it runs into reality, it crumbles.

Somehow, I really doubt that human beings form societies so that the greediest and most dishonest can screw everyone else.

No comments: