"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, March 29, 2012

In Memoriam

This is another "In Memoriam" post that's slightly off-topic. Adrienne Rich died this week, and anyone who knows anything about post-War American letters will recognize the name, and it belongs to a poet who will be missed.

Imagine my reaction when I ran across this this morning:


That's William Donohue, of the so-called "Catholic League," a far-right Catholic supremacist organization.

Maybe my family was strange, but my parents valued education, and that included literature and the arts. And bragging about being ignorant wasn't something one did -- if you didn't know about something, that was the signal to learn about it.

And y'know what? I've discovered life's a lot more fun that way.

2 comments:

NPT said...

Isn't he a charmer? Filled with Christian warmth?

Pah!

Hunter said...

Well, yes, Donohue is an example of the lowest form of life.

On the other side of the coin, there's an interesting discussion at Box Turtle Bulletin at this thread: www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2012/03/28/43248