"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

The Perils of the Internt

This post at HuffPo has gone viral. In short, the poster, Katie Vyktoriah, let her son wear a pink headband to Walmart. There, the child was slapped by a guy in camo who called him a fag and took the headband and was generally reprehensible. There are almost 11,500 comments at HuffPo alone, all (at least all that I read) very sympathetic and most outraged. I have to admit, I bought it at first. (It's the meds. It has to be the meds.) Then I ran across a comment at The New Civil Rights Movement that brought up Katie Vyktoriah's past history. And thinking back, there are lots of holes in her story -- she didn't call for help, didn't report it to the checkout, didn't ask for a manager, didn't even yell back at the guy, nothing. (I mean, if some big burly stranger walked up and attack your two-year-old, would you just stand there?) She went home and wrote a blog post about it the next day. I did some checking and ran across this story from a local paper. And then found this post.

Word is also out that HuffPo moderators are dumping any comments that question the veracity of the story. I left one to the effect a while ago, which seems to have been disappeared.

But then, it's HuffPo. (I consider HuffPo a mediocre site for news, and even less interesting for commentary -- sort of a middle-of-the-road Fox News at this point. One more reason I should have known better than to take that story at face value. And now they seem to have adopted the right-wing policy of deleting any unfavorable comments. Choice.)

No comments: