"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, September 27, 2013

Another Reason Not To Do Facebook

A rather brilliant video from the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, on its exhibit Masculin/Masculin -- the male figure in art from 1800.


"Hmm. . ." you say. "Facebook?"

Well, you see, if you posted this to Facebook, it would be censored. From John Aravosis:

Here’s what I posted last night on Facebook – a French newspaper report on the exhibit. It included a risqué ad that is on the streets of Paris for all to see:


And here’s what happened to my post:


Aravosis is somewhat nonplussed that Facebook would censor an art exhibit at one of the world's most famous museums, and I don't blame him, but I have a couple of questions for Facebook:

What community? Who determines these standards? And would Facebook be quite so ready to censor this video if it were about an exhibit featuring the female figure?

The sad part of this is that I don't find it surprising at all.

No comments: