"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, September 02, 2013

Idiot du Jour

This is actually from Friday, The Day the Computer Died. (Yes, I'm doing a lot of catching up.) But some things are timeless. Jerome Corsi, conspiracy theorist extraordinaire, once again speaking to subjects he obviously knows nothing about, as quoted by Alvin McEwen at Justice For All:

“Our founding fathers knew that if we went this direction, there was no more moral compass and you won’t be able to explain to your children — you’ll have to face the fact that we lost holding the line on one of the most principle issues in the Bible, and that is sex is not about fun,” he remarked. “If you want to have fun, read a book, go to a movie. Sex is about the procreation of children. It’s a sacred responsibility that is meant by God to have men and women commit their lifetime to children.”
(Emphasis added.)

As it turns out, there are lots of reasons that people have sex, but take a look at the top five or ten from these lists (one for women, one for men):

Women:

1. I felt attracted to the person.
2. I wanted to experience the physical pleasure.
3. It feels good.
4. I wanted to show my affection for my partner.
5. I wanted to express my love for my partner.
6. I was sexually aroused and wanted the release.
7. I felt horny.
8. It's fun.
9. I realized I was in love.
10. I was swept up in the heat of the moment.

Men:

1. I was attracted to the person.
2. It feels good.
3. I wanted to experience the physical pleasure.
4. It's fun.
5. I wanted to show my affection for the person.
6. I was sexually aroused and wanted the release.
7. I felt horny.
8. I wanted to express my love for the person.
9. I wanted an orgasm.
10. I wanted to please my partner.

You'll have to search long and hard to find "having children" in these lists.

(OK, granted, this is from Psychology Today, but there is some research behind it, somewhere. Here's the paper the article is based on.)

I realize that reality doesn't carry much weight in Corsi's universe, but for most of us. . . .

No comments: