"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, September 05, 2013

"Secure Borders"

Reading this post by Dave Neiwert, this jumped out at me:
What, exactly, do they mean by “border security”? It’s hard to pin down the exact definition of a “secure border” – reflective of the fact that it is a coded phrase – but in the hands of various Congressional Republicans, what emerges is a fantasy portrait of a militarized fortress-style border with Mexico secured by a towering fence and the constant buzz of manpower patrolling it. In the immigration-reform bill passed by the Senate (but still bottled up in the House), the legislation requires construction of 700 miles of new double-walled border fence and 20,000 more Border Patrol agents to man it.

The first thing that jumped into my mind was the Berlin Wall.

Note to Minutemen: Be careful what you wish for.

Of course, that's the sort of thing they'd probably like.

Via Crooks and Liars.


2 comments:

NPT said...

Good post ... but how do I reblog it easily to my blog? It has reblog buttons; yours doesn't.

(BTW, the word to prove I was not a robot is 'menswel'. Indeed.

Hunter said...

I have no idea -- I'm not even sure what "reblog" means. Unless you're talking about pingbacks, which I don't seem to be geared for.

I normally just plop a link into a post saying "Look at this." Of course, being me, I usually make a comment of my own.

And I didn't even know you had to prove you're not a robot to post comments here. Obviously, I don't have to do that.