"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, December 20, 2013

Duck Dynasty Who?

You might gather from that that I don't watch much TV, and you'd be right. Nor do I pay attention to "reality" shows, which aren't. So I've been enduring the Phil Robertson flap (I had to look up his name) on just about every media outlet you can imagine (and it's taking up way too much space on the blogosphere).

My take? The guy's an asshole. That's the whole point of his show, as far as I can tell. OK, fine, so he's an asshole who believes in the Bible and thinks that makes him a Christian.

So A&E suspended him. According to the Conservative Bible, a private company can o whatever it wants to employees, including firing them just for the hell of it, or because Obamacare, or whatever. Apparently, that only holds true if said employee is a "liberal" (meaning anyone to the left of Attila the Hun) or offends Sarah Palin, who among her other attributes, may very well be the loudest nonentity of modern times. (Remember Martin Bashir? Did Palin stick up for his right to free expression? Hah!)

Digby has a very good post on this whole thing that lays out very plainly -- plainly enough that even Sarah Palin can understand it -- the noxious combination of ignorance and hypocrisy on the right. I'll give you a hint -- remember the Dixie Chicks?

Read Digby -- it's worth the time.

No comments: