"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, April 28, 2014

Up Is Sideways?

I haven't given a Through the Looking Glass Award in some time, but I can't think of a more deserving person than Buddy Smith of the American Family Association. You may have heard that Mississippi has passed what we shall call "The Religious Freedom Restoration Act," because that's it's name -- it's the Mississippi version of Arizona's license to discriminate bill, the one that Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed.

No, that's not the Through the Looking Glass part. It could be, but believe me, this gets better.

Well, some business owners in Mississippi have responded to the "restoration" of some people's "religious freedom" by creating a nice little blue and white sticker that incorporates a rainbow stripe:

This was apparently too close to being thrown to the lions for Mr. Smith:

Buddy Smith, executive vice president of Tupelo-based American Family Association, offers his take on the sticker campaign.

"It's not really a buying campaign, but it's a bully campaign," he says, "and it's being carried out by radical homosexual activists who intend to trample the freedom of Christians to live according to the dictates of scripture.

"They don't want to hear that homosexuality is sinful behavior – and they wish to silence Christians and the church who dare to believe this truth."

Smith offers a word of caution for those who do business with facilities posting the decal supporting homosexual activism. "If you do that, you are agreeing with these businesses that Christians no longer have the freedom to live out the dictates of their Christian faith and conscience," he tells OneNewsNow.

Please don't ask me how Buddy Smith got from a sticker displayed by businesses that don't discriminate to a bullying campaign against Christians -- excuse me, I mean "Christians," because I don't have an explanation. I doubt there is one, except maybe that, like other anti-gay "religious" groups, AFA is seeing its donations tank.

Couldn't happen to a better group of people.

No, I am not going to link to OneNewsNow, but if you want to see Timothy Kincaid's take on this story, it's here.

And you may congratulate me -- I didn't leave a comment at OneNewsNow -- I don't have time these days to engage in flame wars with a bunch of -- well, I'm not going to call names. I don't think I need to.




No comments: