"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Culture Break: Çudamani

I've been catching up on reviews of Indonesian music, so this seemed like an appropriate Culture Break post. The clip is about ten minutes, but it takes that long to get attuned to the music. The dancer is an added treat -- more of what gamelan is in real life, as opposed to a CD.


For more information and reviews of gamelan, check the Music Reviews page under "John Noise Manis," who recorded and produced most of the discs I've reviewed. There's also a review of an Indonesian singer, Uun Budiman and the Jugala Gamelan Orchestra, and as a matter of fact, I reviewed a disc by Çudamani -- the first one I did, actually, so there's a lot of background information on gamelan in that one.


No comments: