"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, August 29, 2016

Words Fail Me

Almost. This is one of the more appalling stories I've run across recently:

A Chicago-area woman who showed up at her doctor’s office in pain and bleeding from a dislodged IUD was told that nothing could be done because his practice was affiliated with a Catholic hospital network which opposes birth control.

According to Rewire, Melanie Jones, 28, slipped in her bathroom causing her copper IUD to shift and stab her internally. After getting an appointment to see her doctor, she was told that his “hands were tied” and he couldn’t help her due to restrictions placed upon him and other providers in the Mercy Hospital and Medical Center system.

“I think my first feeling was shock,” Jones said in an interview. “I thought that eventually they were going to recognize that my health was the top priority.”

Sorry Ms. Jones, but your health is not the priority for the Catholic Church -- institutional prerogatives are the priority. We all should have learned that after witnessing the Church's reaction to the child-molesting priests: deny, obstruct, and shuffle them off to greener pastures.

It gets worse:

What surprised Jones even more was when she was informed that no one in her health plan’s network would help because all of the providers were affiliated with the Catholic church which has strict policies when it comes to birth control.

The Church has been gobbling up hospitals in recent years -- I guess since the forced birthers haven't managed to overturn Roe v. Wade, this is their back-door approach to enforcing Church doctrine on the country.

And thanks to Hobby Lobby, they can probably get away with it. (Yes, I know that Alito's opinion stressed that the ruling was narrowly drawn. How long do you think that's going to hold up?)

No comments: