"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, February 17, 2017

One of Those Things

that just pop into my head when I allow my mind to wander:

Are there any flightless birds on northern continents?

It seems like very major southern landmass has (or had) flightless birds: ostriches in Africa, rheas in South America, cassowaries in Australia and New Guinea, moas (extinct) and emus in New Zealand, elephant birds (extinct) in Madagascar.

And checking the list at Wikipedia, it seems there are a few species of smaller flightless birds on some Caribbean islands (not to mention the Guam rail, and I'm sure there are others in the Pacific islands), but nothing on the order of the larger ones north of the equator.

I wonder why.

No comments: