"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, July 17, 2017

Quote du Jour

The summation of this post at Mahablog:

But it’s also the case that for the more fanatical Christians in the U.S., the Bible ceased to be a scripture a long time ago. It’s become more of a totem, a sacred symbol assumed to have spiritual power that represents the tribe of self-proclaimed conservative Christians. What it actually says about anything is irrelevant.
(Emphasis added.)

I'm sure you can all come up with examples of "Christians" who give no evidence of ever having read the Scriptures.

The article itself is about the Green family, of Hobby Lobby fame, and their looted biblical antiquities. It's a good example of what happens to your sense of morality when your sacred text becomes a mere totem, losing all real meaning.

No comments: