"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, August 27, 2018

Nature Note: Dogs Do It, Too

I like to sit outside the Zoo reading in the summer; there's usually a breeze, and I like watching the people. My favored spot is right outside the wolf habitat in the Children's Zoo, which is populated by red wolves. They have been extinct in the wild, and Lincoln Park Zoo is participating in a breeding program to beef up their numbers and reintroduce them to their previous range.

Mike Collins, UK Wolf Conservation Trust
At any rate, any time an emergency vehicle goes by with sirens wailing, the wolves start howling in response.

I was just outside when an ambulance went by, siren screaming. Someone had tied their dog outside the Dunkin' Donuts across the street, a standard poodle, and sure enough, it started howling.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

No comments: