"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, August 10, 2018

Today in Really Digusting People

This story is actually a couple of days old, but it's getting so much reaction that I thought I should catch up. From one of our favorite racists, Laura Ingraham:

In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America that we know and love doesn’t exist anymore. Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people, and they are changes that none of us ever voted for, and most of us don’t like. From Virginia to California, we see stark examples of how radically, in some ways, the country has changed. Now, much of this is related to both illegal, and in some cases legal immigration that, of course, progressives love.

I guess it's supposed to be in right-wing code, but she seems to have traded in the dogwhistle for a bull horn.

Oh, by the way -- our immigration policies were enacted by our elected officials. They weren't "foisted upon" anyone.

And under the heading "You're Known By the Company You Keep," guess who jumped right in supporting her:


He deleted the tweet almost immediately, but not soon enough.

Needless to say, most of the reaction was not positive, even on the right.



So of course, she's being misrepresented:

I want to start tonight by addressing my commentary at the top of last night’s show. A message to those who are distorting my views, including all white nationalists and especially one racist freak whose name I will not even mention. You do not have my support, you don’t represent my views and you are antithetical to the beliefs I hold dear. The purpose of last night’s angle was to point out that the rule of law – meaning secure borders – is something that used to bind our country together.

And despite what some may be contending – I made explicitly clear that my commentary had nothing to do with race or ethnicity, but rather a shared goal of keeping America safe, and her citizens safe and prosperous. My concern will continue to remain with the families who have suffered the tragic results of illegal immigration, the children put in dangerous and unfair situations at the border, and all those border agents around the country who work to keep our country safe.

The "rule of law"? As personified by Donald Trump and Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III?

I almost had to wipe down my keyboard after that one.

No comments: