"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, December 14, 2018

Music Note

(See what I did there?) I haven't really mentioned this before, but I play music in the morning while I'm surfing/blogging/whatever. Lately, instead of sticking with my few favorites and the playlists I've put together, I've been playing the stuff that I don't listen to that much. It's all stored on my computer, so it's just a matter of skimming through the files and picking something to play.

One thing, though, is that now I find myself wondering "What am I listening to?" when I don't recognize the music. (Just to give you an idea of the scope of this, my file directory for music lists about 500 folders. Some of those folders have more than one album --they're all listed by artist, so that "Stravinsky" is one folder -- but it contains thirteen albums. The Beethoven folder has sixteen albums; Depeche Mode has eighteen. I think the actual count is somewhere in the neighborhood of 750-800 albums and playlists. They're on my computer because -- well, when compact discs are taking over your space, you have to do something.)

The reason I bring this up is because it just happened. And then I remembered -- Toru Takemitsu, "Toward the Sea". (Actually, the album is titled I Hear the Water Dreaming, but "Toward the Sea" was the piece that was playing.)

And that's what's playing now.

No comments: