"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, March 27, 2020

Any Excuse Will Do

Via Joe.My.God., the EPA has decided to suspend all the rules for the duration of the pandemic (maybe) because reasons:

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a sweeping suspension of its enforcement of environmental laws Thursday, telling companies they would not need to meet environmental standards during the coronavirus outbreak.

The temporary policy, for which EPA has set no end date, would allow any number of industries to skirt environmental laws, with the agency saying it will not “seek penalties for noncompliance with routine monitoring and reporting obligations.”

Pardon me if I fail to see how the pandemic would impact compliance with environmental laws, especially in those companies who are up and running and not laying off workers.

Read the whole thing. It's another D.C. boondoggle.

As for Andrew Wheeler, current EPA administrator -- well, in his last life, he was a coal lobbyist, among other things.

This seems an appropriate place to remember an old favorite:



No comments: