"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Right-Wing "Values"

Today's lesson comes from Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick:

Claiming that he was “vindicated” by businesses being shut down by states’ stay-at-home orders, Patrick said on Monday night during a Fox News interview that the new plan to reopen Texas businesses was “long overdue.”

The Texas leader then doubled down on his grim argument for allowing people to be put at risk of death from COVID-19 to help the economy recover from the damage brought on by the outbreak – a proposal that was immediately met with a flood of criticism.

“What I said when I was with you that night is there are more important things than living,” Patrick told Fox News host Tucker Carlson, referring to when he first made the suggestion last month. “And that’s saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us.”

The next question, which these wise leaders never seem to ask, is "What kind of country are you saving for your children and granchildren?"

This sort of made me think:

“And I don’t want to die, nobody wants to die,” he added. “But man we’ve got to take some risks and get back in the game and get this country back up and running.”

These people -- and by that I mean "Republicans" and maybe some Democrats -- seem to think that things in this country are just the way they've always been. There really is something of a 1930s flavor to a comment like that -- maybe we need a good world war to get things back on track. Except these days, no one knows what the track is. We don't even have a unified vision of what our country is or should be. Yes, we've had ideological differences in the past, but we used to be able to find a middle ground. That doesn't seem possible any more. It takes a major disaster -- like a pandemic -- to get our representatives to work together. And it has to be really major -- nothing piddly like a hurricane.

And of course, coming from a Republican, you just know that Patrick is not talking about himself or his family -- he's talking about you and your family.

Vie Joe.My.God.

No comments: