"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fighting Tooth and Nail

I mean the generals fighting repeal of DADT. I think it's finally on their radar that this is going to happen and that open opposition is a career-killer. Timothy Kincaid has a good summation at BTB:

A pattern appears to evident. No military leaders will oppose the study on the issue, perhaps each hoping that their own perspectives will prevail and in the meantime buying time until perhaps a more favorable Senate will appear. Further, it seems that the politicians in the Pentagon are opposed to the change, while those officers that are fighting wars really couldn’t care less.

Actually, I'd state it a little more strongly, based on what I've seen from people like Gen. David Petraeus as well as comments from enlisted personnel who are actually fighting the wars: Their feeling is "Get it done already -- we need everyone who can shoot straight. They don't have to be straight."

In the meantime, Kincaid has hit the nail on the head in one respect: they are desperately using delaying tactics to make repeal painful, difficult, and ultimately, they hope, impossible. They don't have an argument that stands up to even the mildest scrutiny. All they can do is stall and hope the senate gets filled with fellow true-believers.

No comments: