"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Disincentive?

Via Susie Madrak at C&L, this load from that great humanitarian, Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Wall Street) (from Ryan Grim at HuffPo):


Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona, the Republican whip, argued that unemployment benefits dissuade people from job-hunting "because people are being paid even though they're not working."

Unemployment insurance "doesn't create new jobs. In fact, if anything, continuing to pay people unemployment compensation is a disincentive for them to seek new work," Kyl said during debate over whether unemployment insurance and other benefits that expired amid GOP objections Sunday should be extended.

"I'm sure most of them would like work and probably have tried to seek it, but you can't argue that it's a job enhancer. If anything, as I said, it's a disincentive. And the same thing with the COBRA extension and the other extensions here," said Kyl.

Grim makes the point:

Unemployment benefits are generally so small that much of it is often used to pay for COBRA health insurance, even when subsidized. The size of the benefits does not generally cover the cost of living and it would be hard to find a single person who would prefer unemployment to having a job so that they could get subsidized COBRA.

For two years, I sent out resumes every day. I put in applications and Walgreens and Jewel/Osco. I finally took a job as a part-time typist, making just enough to disqualify me for unemployment -- except my benefits had run out six months before. When I was getting unemployment, I had to drop COBRA -- I couldn't afford the premiums. I couldn't have managed food if I hadn't been getting food stamps. I couldn't afford my rent, and I couldn't move without a job. I don't ever want to be there again.

Jon Kyle is an overfed ass.

No comments: