"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, March 05, 2010

Marriage Update

Add Washington, D.C., and Mexico City to the list -- now we can get married in any North American capital.

Internationally, Timothy Kincaid has an update. Countries that are advancing same-sex marriage laws include some surprises: Portugal, Nepal, Iceland, Luxembourg, Argentina, Cyprus, and Slovenia.

The big surprise for me on that list is Slovenia. Eastern Europe is not, on the whole, terribly gay-friendly (to the extent that I'm almost ashamed to admit my Lithuanian ancestry, but there is a much more praise-worthy history there than current attitudes reflect), and the bill in that parliament has passed its first reading. (Three readings are required; the first, from the sketchy information I've been able to find, seems to be the most difficult.) What's causing the most controversy in this instance is a provision that also allows gay adoptions. These people need some good information.

And here, of course, we're limping along having to challenge discriminatory marriage laws in the courts, which has become a crap shoot.

No comments: