"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Bummer

The Oscar nominations are out, and although Call Me By Your Name made the list for Best Picture and Best Actor (Chalamet certainly deserves it), I was really expecting Armie Hammer to get a nomination for Best Supporting Actor. In my opinion (and it's not an opinion founded in ignorance -- I've been an actor, I know what's involved) he deserved a nomination, at least. He really gave a subtle, elliptical and compelling performance -- the kind of performance that leaves you wanting to know more about this person.

Full disclosure: I haven't seen any of the other films, but from all reports, Call Me By Your Name is facing stiff competition. Given the way the politics of the Academy seem to run, I'm expecting it to be shut out -- a "gay" film, Moonlight, won last year.

The full list is at Variety.

No comments: